Why You're Here:

You've said to yourself, "beauty walks a razor's edge, someday I'll make it mine."

You've often thought about what it would have been like to drop acid with Groucho Marx.

You know that until you measure it, an electron is everywhere, and your mind reels at the implications.

You'd like to get drunk on the wine from my sweet, sweet mind grapes.

Thursday, June 18, 2009

25 Years and Repo Man's Still Intense

Which is no surprise, of course, because the life of a repo man's always intense.



This movie is in my top 5 favorites. Not what I think the 5 best movies are, mind. But my favorites. That is, their idiosyncracies align with my idiosyncracies. Also important, a favorite is a movie that, for whatever reasons, I have seen so many times its very existence becomes enmeshed with mine.

Like Tracy Walters' "plate of shrimp" monologue (part of which is shown in the above trailer). It helped me tie together threads of my emerging self-knowledge that were coalescing just below my consciousness.

Anyway, Repo Man has a dynamite soundtrack. Early '80s L.A. punk crossed with some eerie chilled-out Latin-inflected rockabilly-type shit. Like this:




Also, keep an eye out for the dude who played Frankie in the last season or two of The A-Team.

Finally, what are my other 4 favorites? Hmm. Ferris Bueller's Day Off is a stone cold lock (It's also a SCL for my list of perfect movies. Rushmore (also under consideration for the perfect list). Ok, that's 3. Hmm. Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. And Jules et Jim. Which narrowly--and I mean narrowly--edges out City of Lost Children for the coveted French-film-that-makes-me- seem-cooler-than-I-am slot. So that's the 5. For today, anyway. But lists are stupid, am I right? Lemme give you my top 5 reasons lists are stupid, wakka wakka!

No comments:

Post a Comment