Why You're Here:

You've said to yourself, "beauty walks a razor's edge, someday I'll make it mine."

You've often thought about what it would have been like to drop acid with Groucho Marx.

You know that until you measure it, an electron is everywhere, and your mind reels at the implications.

You'd like to get drunk on the wine from my sweet, sweet mind grapes.

Thursday, June 18, 2009

Your Morning Freshness



Ah, Eric the King, Eric Cantona.

His career ended just as I was becoming aware of English soccer. His strength, precision, and what I can only call a compelling arrogance are something that I have yet to see from another footballer. For you David Beckham fans out there, he wore number 7 at Manchester United because Cantona, his idol, did.

During the 2006 World Cup Cantona did a series of ads for Nike, wherein he sported a beard and shoulder-length hair. So did I during that time, and I received more than a few comparisons to him from patrons of The Fox and Hounds. Needless to say, that pleased me greatly. And the comparison took on another dimension when I scored THAT goal for Barton Hall FC--my collar was popped, like his, and--at least in my mind--after scoring I turned to survey the mere mortals who were lucky to share the same pitch with me. But seriously, that goal was the greatest moment of my life and likely always will be. Even if I were to have a child. Or become president. Or find out I won the lottery while aboard a spaceship piloted by a resurrected Bob Marley.

In the coming weeks, watch this space for a primer on following club soccer in Europe, with a focus on England. Can't wait for August, when the season starts up. I didn't play it much growing up, and I was a rabid fan of the big 3 American sports, but I now feel it's the most rewarding sport to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment