Why You're Here:

You've said to yourself, "beauty walks a razor's edge, someday I'll make it mine."

You've often thought about what it would have been like to drop acid with Groucho Marx.

You know that until you measure it, an electron is everywhere, and your mind reels at the implications.

You'd like to get drunk on the wine from my sweet, sweet mind grapes.

Thursday, November 5, 2009

I Strongly Recommend Benji Hughes' "A Love Extreme"

There used to be a time when you couldn't shut me up about recommending music. Then I realized most people don't give a shit what other people think about stuff, except when they shouldn't give a shit but do.

Which brings me to my new rule: I'll only recommend an album if I've listened to it non-stop for a month. Yes, that's gonna be a short list, and yes, Mr. Hughes' A Love Extreme has passed this test. Hell, it created this test.

I just thought of another rule: I actually bought this album. In a day and age when I download for free--without compunction--any and all media, if I do purchase something, then I feel compelled to recommend it.

I know, I know.  A beefy, bearded, longhaired songsmith with idiosyncratic lyrics, simple-yet-funky dance beats, and soothing ballads--obviously the icecreammang can dig it. But to the svelte, the non-hirsute, the tonsorially challenged--don't worry, you can dig it, too.

Additional info: He co-wrote a song on the Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story soundtrack (that movie is underrated, but you didn't hear it from me). Although A Love Extreme is his debut, it's a 25-song double album.

So, if you already happen to be digging it, then kudos to you.  If you listened to it once and dismissed it, then fuck you.

Normally, this is the spot where I'd put up a couple songs via Grooveshark. Not this time. I'm going to test your mettle, see what you're made of. Go buy it. Now.

No comments:

Post a Comment