Why You're Here:

You've said to yourself, "beauty walks a razor's edge, someday I'll make it mine."

You've often thought about what it would have been like to drop acid with Groucho Marx.

You know that until you measure it, an electron is everywhere, and your mind reels at the implications.

You'd like to get drunk on the wine from my sweet, sweet mind grapes.

Friday, May 29, 2009

Time For Some Live Music

There was a time when I was johnny-on-the-spot when it came to seeing live music--both bands I knew and liked as well as up-and-comers I was curious to check out. Sadly, the last live music I can remember was Radiohead at the Hollywood Bowl (last summer?), and that was due to a friend's largesse.



Before that...I have no idea.

Which brings me to this upcoming Sunday. On the strength of a short review in The New Yorker of the band and its most recent album, I picked up a ticket on Craigslist to see Brooklyn natives Grizzly Bear play a sold out show at the Music Hall of Williamsburg. Well, that review and then a blog review that started off this way, "Reviewing a Grizzly Bear album is not the same as reviewing any other album." Are you kidding me? That is the most pretentious fucking thing I've ever heard! I read no further out of principle, or disgust, or I dunno what, but I have to admit it really pinned the needle in the red on my intrigue meter.

It's been a long time since I've seen a band without having heard a single note. I must say, this fact quite excites me. And I can't wait to descend into the belly of the beast to see this hipster-beloved band playing a triumphant hometown show mere days after releasing a new album to rave reviews. In Williamsburg no less, the literal ground zero of the HD nation. My head might explode if I'm not careful.

For the curious among you who haven't heard them (and clearly don't wear super-skinny jeans and unreasonable amounts of purple and turquoise), here they are on Letterman playing a song from their last album:

2 comments:

  1. What about my review of the 12/31/1993 "Reba": How can you call the greatest musical achievevement in the history of humankind overrated?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some people call me a liar . . . I prefer the term "wordsmith."
    -David Moore

    ReplyDelete