Why You're Here:

You've said to yourself, "beauty walks a razor's edge, someday I'll make it mine."

You've often thought about what it would have been like to drop acid with Groucho Marx.

You know that until you measure it, an electron is everywhere, and your mind reels at the implications.

You'd like to get drunk on the wine from my sweet, sweet mind grapes.

Monday, May 24, 2010

Tony Motherfucking Judt

I've banged the drum here for my day-to-day politics bloggers, Glenn Greenwald and Digby.

Now I want to introduce you to Tony Judt, one of my big picture guys, who happens to be my favorite writer right now.

He has written a massively well-regarded work about post-WWII Europe, titled, appropriately, Postwar: A History of Europe Since 1945. It's quite the page-turner--no easy task for an 896 page history spanning 60 years and an entire continent.

He contributes to the New York Review of Books (only some pieces are available online for free--when I can rub two nickels together I plan to subscribe).

His latest work, Ill Fares The Land, just came out. I plan to read it, but I have read this excerpt from its first chapter, as well as this related essay.

I highly, highly recommend reading both.

And he is quadriplegic due to advanced Lou Gehrig's Disease. Take that, Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis!

No comments:

Post a Comment