Why You're Here:

You've said to yourself, "beauty walks a razor's edge, someday I'll make it mine."

You've often thought about what it would have been like to drop acid with Groucho Marx.

You know that until you measure it, an electron is everywhere, and your mind reels at the implications.

You'd like to get drunk on the wine from my sweet, sweet mind grapes.

Monday, May 3, 2010

On Empire: George Orwell's "Shooting An Elephant"

Years ago, age 14 or so, I read this essay at my grandfather's behest.

It is evergreen, and perhaps more topical than it was in 1988 when I read it.

Another Orwell essay I read back then and revisited recently can serve as a bit of a mental tune-up if you're doing any writing of any sort--be it technical, creative, for pay or for pleasure. You can find it, and all his collected essays, here.

Fascinating chap. I wish he'd been born a little later and lived a while longer so he could opine on the United States overtaking Great Britain in matters of empire.

[Ignore "Read More"]

No comments:

Post a Comment