Why You're Here:

You've said to yourself, "beauty walks a razor's edge, someday I'll make it mine."

You've often thought about what it would have been like to drop acid with Groucho Marx.

You know that until you measure it, an electron is everywhere, and your mind reels at the implications.

You'd like to get drunk on the wine from my sweet, sweet mind grapes.

Friday, April 23, 2010

The Way Of No Way





















I first learned of this concept while reading about the "style" of martial arts that Bruce Lee created, Jeet Kune Do. Literally, it means Way of the Intercepting Fist. But in describing how he conceived of it, he said it had no limitation as limitation; using no way as way. Use what works, cast away the rest and don't get caught up in the doctrine of technique. It wasn't a style, per se, but a process for figuring out and incorporating what works best.

Few things have resonated as deeply with me, for it confirmed for me the awesomeness of how I was beginning to see the world and how I wanted to be in it. Shit, it was how I wanted the whole world to be--in my more messianic moments, of course. But for as reasonable as it might sound, the world sure as hell ain't like this at all. It's full of rules, instructions, doctrine, identification, genres, uniforms--you name it, and someone's quick to tell you just exactly how you are or aren't that.

All this has been at the forefront of my mind lately as I try to make sense of the current American political landscape. But it also pops up when I consider elements of society and popular culture. My awareness and understanding of the Way of No Way frustrates me terribly but also gives me great hope. The irony, of course, is that in my weaker moments I think the the Way of No Way is the Only Way. But then I remind myself it's really no way at all.

2 comments:

  1. Naturally Unnatural and Unnaturally Natural

    ReplyDelete
  2. The ideal is unnatural naturalness, or natural unnaturalness. (The better way to say it)

    ReplyDelete