Why You're Here:

You've said to yourself, "beauty walks a razor's edge, someday I'll make it mine."

You've often thought about what it would have been like to drop acid with Groucho Marx.

You know that until you measure it, an electron is everywhere, and your mind reels at the implications.

You'd like to get drunk on the wine from my sweet, sweet mind grapes.

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Taken Out Of The Ballgame










What's on my mind? The Big Blue Wrecking Crew. Their success this season--so far--has not been a source of joy for me, difficult as it may be for you to believe. Rather, it's salt in the very fresh wound that is my recent move from Los Angeles to New York. Having gone to so many games over the past 10+ years, having lived within ear-shot of The Happiest Place On Earth (see accompanying photo) for the past seven years, having bled Dodger Blue since I was listening to Vin Scully in my mother's womb, well...not being there now just stings.

Over the past few seasons I'd developed a thick skin and a well-earned skepticism regarding their prospects (prospects for doing well, not prospects like Ethier, Kemp, Kershaw, et al.--I've been been nothing but enthusiastic about our slew of youngsters). I expected the worst and never made much of any positive pre-season speculation or pennant-stretch heroics. Even Steve Finley's ridiculous grand slam couldn't light me up because I knew we were just playoff cannon fodder. And we were.

Clearly, this season is different. Their record reflects it, and from what I'm told everybody can feel it. Damn if I don't want to hear about it. Because my heart aches when I think about it. I'm talking about actual, not figurative, pain. I'm not able to watch them unless they play the Mets or are on ESPN. And when I do it's not especially pleasant. And yes, I could pony up for the MLB Extra Innings package or listen on the internet or Sirius, but that misses the point.

Why? Because I can't share the excitement. I can't listen to the sports radio blather. I can't sit in the Reserved Section with MWB, talking about life, love, and baseball, or just sitting there enjoying the National Pastime in silence. I can't eat Dodger Dogs--one with ketchup and yellow mustard, one with brown mustard, relish and onions.

Sigh.

If I've learned anything from losing a loved one, it's that the pain will fade, even if the extent to which the loss truly fucking sucks never will. So you eventually learn to get on with it.
Will that be when the pennant races heat up and the playoffs loom large? Maybe. Maybe it will be next season. I don't know. But I do know if you cut me open one hundred years from now I'll still bleed Dodger Blue.

And remember, no matter what happens this season, "...it's root, root, root for the Dodgers, if they don't win it's the SAME."

1 comment:

  1. Game 5 of the World Series is scheduled for October 27. Given the AL victory in the All Star game the Dodgers will have to clinch the Series on this day at home. My prediction is that we will be at the game before heading to Coachella. And all this pain you speak of will be washed away by the victory and voice of Vin calling his last ever game on the radio we will bring. Onward and upward my friend. This will happen it is not fantasy. Fantasy is my vision of bringing Vin and Manny to Coachella with us! Manny will pass a drug test of different design and Vin will offer play-by-play of our shenanigans. Erganian is listed as day to day. Aren't we all? :)

    ReplyDelete