Why You're Here:

You've said to yourself, "beauty walks a razor's edge, someday I'll make it mine."

You've often thought about what it would have been like to drop acid with Groucho Marx.

You know that until you measure it, an electron is everywhere, and your mind reels at the implications.

You'd like to get drunk on the wine from my sweet, sweet mind grapes.

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

The Search for Inspirato

"Warning: If you want your asses blown out, stay in the room."

(Language NSFW.)



So, ten days off. WTF is up? I foolishly thought if I wasn't compelled to write something, I should wait until I was. Bzzzt! Wrong answer. That just made it easy to fall into a non-writing habit. I could tell myself I held back because I want to bring you nothing less than my best. "I could 23-skiddoo you a song. I could zipadeedoodah you a song. But that would be false. It would be wrong."

Wrong again! "You've got to manufacture inspirato!"
Translation: Push yourself to keep working. But don't force it.
Application: My overall mental state

After several years of pursuing the "talking cure," aka psychotherapy, I came to understand that even if I dug and dug into my past to try to figure out root causes for my fucked-upedness, there was no brass ring to reach for which, if grabbed, would release me from...well, [REDACTED]. Instead, I wasn't going to feel any better unless I started acting and thinking differently.

Ok, but what about the "don't force it" part? Yeah, I guess I was leaning far too heavily on that part since I last posted. But it's only part of the equation, and I'm responsible for balancing said equation. How? Confidence in my skillz, such that if I just sit down and start slamming the keys I can guide this thing home to awesomeville--every fucking time. Of course this is by no means my default setting. And like I said above, why that's the case is--for now--beside the point.

So, how does this navel-gazing affect you, dear reader? Good question! More posts, more frequently. Everybody wins.
________________________

Finally, apropos of nothing: one day I hope to be enough of a cool customer to engage with a dangerous stranger on horseback in the desert in the following manner:

Sherif Ali: What is your name?
T.E. Lawrence: My name is for my friends.

Consider this my recommendation that you watch Lawrence of Arabia. An absolute fucking masterpiece. There would be no John Williams without Maurice Jarre's stunning score. There would be no awesome scenes in the desert in Star Wars or Raiders of the Lost Ark without David Lean's ambition and vision. And I wish I could continue this "and there would be no...." construction with regard to Peter O'Toole's performance, but I don't think anybody's ever been as good as he was in the action/adventure/gentleman/scholar/statesman/iconoclast role of a lifetime. Maybe that's because there's never been a role as good as that one!



Start it raunchy, finish it classy, that's what I always say.

1 comment:

  1. Arrrgh! Good shit again me man. Starting off raunchy but finishing off classy I want to be my new motto, if only because I have not had a drink thrown at me or been slapped in the face. Yet. I am becoming the unsolicited mentor to many unintended proteges based on some of your teachings. Plus I had an ice cream cone tonight and thought of you . . . am I the only man left who still purchases wafer cones for the home because that's how I like my vanilla bean served? I shouldn't be.

    ReplyDelete