Why You're Here:

You've said to yourself, "beauty walks a razor's edge, someday I'll make it mine."

You've often thought about what it would have been like to drop acid with Groucho Marx.

You know that until you measure it, an electron is everywhere, and your mind reels at the implications.

You'd like to get drunk on the wine from my sweet, sweet mind grapes.

Friday, May 1, 2009

LA v NY

Ok, I'm going to try to be a bit more on topic with this post and throw out a few early impressions. Not first impressions, mind, as I've visited extensively over the past two years, and frequently going back as far as New Year's 1995.

Reading on the subway: fucking awesome
Not knowing when the next train is coming: weak
Being new to the city and negotiating the subway drunk: weak (but once you get home, hilarious)
Unable to hop in the car to go straight to my destination in air conditioned comfort: fucking weak

Hot dog carts all over the place: awesome
Pizza joints all over the place: awesome
Mexican food: despite minimal evidence to the contrary, I'm not convinced it exists here, despite the meager claims of Southern California transplants. When did you fools sell out?
Dunkin' Donuts: meh. Their legendary coffee is alright, and Winchell's donuts are better.

Bars open til 4: N/A due to age and marital status
Bars all over the place: awesome
Not driving after drinking: fucking awesome

Movie theaters: No Arclight here. Fucking savages. Waiting in line for seats is for morons.
People watching: fucking awesome

Local news people: Surprisingly ugly vs. LA. I miss Jackie Johnson's breasts, I mean weather.
Tabloid newspapers: I don't know, makes it feel like London, minus royalty plus Yankees

That's good for now. I'll tackle some of the more controversial issues later, like relative hotness of women and awesomeness of sports teams, in the near future, when the weather warms up, the skirts come out, the Lakers are triumphing, and Mets are underperforming.

Also, I have no idea where to get a good cheeseburger in this town. L.A. is the capital and spiritual home of the cheeseburger. I expect my quest to take up a good portion of my waking and dreaming hours over the next few months. Recommendations are appreciated, will be greeted with skepticism, and eventually vetted.

No Coke, Pepsi.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad to see you make it out there in one safely and of sound mind. You are right on the lack of legit mexican food options. I did not have my first burrito until I came out to Cali when I was 18. Its the ultimate tradeoff: awesome pizza or burritos. having both would be too much of a good thing

    ReplyDelete
  2. burgers in bk:

    bonnie's in park slope on 5th ave

    shake shack - upper west side or madison square park

    five guys burgers - a few in the city

    donovan's pub in woodside, qns.

    ReplyDelete